US Chess Federation membership is required and must be current as of November 30, 2022
If you cannot attend the tournament, please let us know through the Contact Us page at least 7 days before the start of the tournament (if you registered through Eventbrite, make the refund request through Eventbrite).
Refund for the entry fee will be less $25 service charge for the adult event and $15 for the scholastic.
You may also give notice of withdrawal in writing (by post mail or email) at least 7 days before the first round. NO REFUND, full or partial, is EVER given once you have started playing your game in the first round.
0 point bye notifications are welcomed anytime. Please notify us if you want a 0-point bye, but will be playing the following round. These are useful in situations where a 0.5 point bye is too late to be requested but you still wish to play the remaining rounds.
Rules for HALF-POINT (0.5 point) byes
In order to protect players from unfair half-point (0.5) bye requests the following policy is in place for all players.
- Last round byes MUST be requested before the start of the second round for the main event (before the first round for the Scholastic, Blitz, and Action tournaments).
- All other rounds, bye request must be made before the start of the previous round of the intended bye round (and at least 24 hours for first round bye request) i.e. to request Round 7 bye, request must be submitted before Rd 6 starts)
- Requesting for a bye is not grounds for receiving a refund.
- Maximum of two half-point (0.5) bye.
- All byes requested after the the maximum two allowed for half-point, or after the previous round of the intended bye round has started, will be zero (0) point byes.
Rules for FULL-POINT (1.0 point) Bye
1. A full-point bye, which is received due to an odd number of players at the time of pairing a section, is an unplayed game. The recipient will not receive credit for rating or for norms.
2. Getting a bye is not grounds for receiving a refund.
Questions and request can be made through the player’s portal. For any exception/emergency requests or questions, please see the information desk at the tournament or direct emails to play(at)americanopen(dot)com.
Switching or Making Changes
Depending on the complications of your request, our data entry personnel will need to spend time to look up your information and process them, therefore you may be charged a service fee. An easy way for avoiding this charge is by making sure all your information is filled out correctly during the registration. Players may not switch from one section to the other for the sole reason based on preference changes after viewing the advance list. A valid reason must be provided for changes.